[OhQP-mail] 160 Meters in Ohio QSO Party?

W3HKK at roadrunner.com W3HKK at roadrunner.com
Tue Apr 14 16:39:03 CDT 2020

Im in the mixed-bag camp.

160m could help, perhaps by bolstering the 11pm-midnight ( slowest)
hour as well as affording in-close counties (mults) to more OH ops in
particular..

I dont see any adverse drop-off for the other bands if we add 160 to
the mix. Those with existing 160m antennas leave them unused as is.
Others could try a variety of NVIS makeshift 160m antennas, and
perhaps get interested in 160 as a new band for them. My first 160m
antenna was a 1/4 wave INV-L ( apex at 15 ft!) with no radials and one
ground rod. It even worked 4x4 and JA1 with 100w that season. Others
just bend the wire around their yard in crazy ways and get results.
Ham radio is full of surprises.

OTOH, August QRN could make 160 unusable during some contests. But it
does bring some fresh tactics and possibilities.

Why not give it a try?

Tnx for posing the question.

OhQP-mail"