[OhQP-mail] Plans for OHQP 2011, N1L/CLIN

David Bunte dpbunte at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 16:55:13 EDT 2011

Hank & Kenny -

First of all... Congrats on your respective wins last year.

I think Kenny makes an excellent point.  I don't think many of us enter ANY
contest really EXPECTING to win... but I'll bet all of us enter a given
state QSO party expecting, assuming, or at least HOPING that the stations
operating IN that state would not DELIBERATELY do something to confuse
others, or make their participation less efficient or less enjoyable.  When
N9FN and I operate from OH or MI in the OHQP or MIQP we recognize and accept
that our rate may suffer somewhat, because, although N9FN has now operated
from those states for many years, there are always folks who are new to QSO
parties, and/or don't subscribe to the respective reflectors, and are thus
caught off guard by the '9' land call in MI or OH.

I won't argue the "cuteness" of N1L, but when you already have an '8' land
call I guess I just don't understand why you would make the change.  It
seems to me that ESPECIALLY if you choose to operate QRP once again, you
would not want to add an additional hurdle for your fellow hams to jump over
in order to make a QSO with what very well may be a needed mult.

Regardless... even if I don't understand your motivation, I do hope you and
many many others have a great time in the OHQP and all the other excuses we
come up with to enjoy this great and diverse hobby of ours.

-Dave-
-K9FN-