[OhQP-mail] Plans for OHQP 2011, N1L/CLIN

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Sun Mar 13 11:46:47 EDT 2011

Hi, Kenny:

Thanks for the response.

Your advice is "right on."  If I wanted to "REALLY" make a mark on a
statewide record, or being in the "top 10 QRP" ops in the contest, etc.,
I'd certainly go for N8C for CLINton county, or N8Q for "QRP", or even
use my own, specially selected, contest call.  But, the probability of
beating out the all time record for QRP by N8IE @ 60+K points from a
portable location would be vanishingly small.  I'd hope my presence
might encourage a few more folks to operate from CLINton so I could make
a contact with CLINton, but if I get anywhere near the score I made last
year in HENRy county I'll be happy, and, maybe even set a record for QRP
operation from that county.  Unless some other low power nut decides to
operate in CLINton, it won't be hard to break the olde record (none at
this time).

N1L for "N)ot 1)n L)og" seems a good "pun" on Contesters.   CQ OQP de
N1L/CLIN is a bit longer to send than CQ OQP de N8Q, but, what the h...

I used N1L in the MNQP, the FYBO, and the CW NA-Sprint which happened on
the same day, in honor of those the Minnesota Wireless Association,
which inspired me to use the call.  Some of the NA-Sprint folks could
hardly believe the call - had to ask two or three times for confirmation!

KF8HR set the LP record for CLINton county, but is now in DELAware
county. His QRZ listing states he will still operate from CLINton
County, so he may have contacts in Blanchester. There were a couple Ham
Radio Clubs in CLINton county competing in last year's event, so they
may be of help also.

The one downside, compared with a "truly rare" county like HENRy last
year - it will be harder to attract contacts with a pipsqueak signal
with <5 watts.  Last year I was the only fixed station who reported in
that county, so several times (probably when some one spotted me on a DX
cluster), I was inundated with contacts 8 to 10 deep for several minutes.

Several folks have may suggestion, some via private messages.   I also
have downloaded all the calls from 45107 and will be contacting the ones
who show up in the contesting reports.  Thanks to everyone!

72/73 de n8xx Hg