[OhQP-mail] OhQP N1L(N8XX) Single Op QRP

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Mon Aug 29 22:23:15 EDT 2011

                     Ohio QSO Party

Call: N1L
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: BROWN County
Operating Time (hrs): 10

    80:   66     32
    40:   50     43
    20:    7      0
    15:    0      0
    10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  123     75  CW Mults = 59  Ph Mults = 50  Total Score = 34,989

Club: Queen City Emergency Net

Comments:

Vy Interesting working as N1L (Acronym for N)ot 1)n L)og) from a very
rare county (BROWN) during the Ohio QSO Party.  I reiterate for the sake
of those who questioned why I chose the call:  Because it was FUN,
unique, created quite a few questions from folks - some who could hardly
believe that it was a 'real' call.  And, in one simple phrase - "Just
for the fish (halibut!!"

Location was fine, a but primitive, but very quiet (RF wise and human
traffic wise), at the Della Gates & Edward Charles Bott Wildlife Area,
about 6 miles south of Blanchester, on the BROWn/CLERmont border.  (I
could have moved the antenna about 500 feet and been in CLERmont
County!)

Attempted to start on 20 metres, tried it for an hour, worked on 7 Q's -
mizzerable luck.  Wondered if the apparent high noise level was because
of local interference (though I was >500 feet from a power line or other
possible sources of local QRN)  Glad to hear from other folks that 20
metres was generally a bust.

Antenna was "Plan B" - I tried shooting a fish line over trees, about 40
to 50' high, but after a few attempts at "tennis ball eating trees" I
gave up and hoisted the center of the antenna @ 32' with my trusty army
surplus mast and used it as an inverted "V."

Either conditions were better during last year's effort, or signals were
down.  Worked only 198 Q's before giving up around 0230Z with very low
rate on 80 CW, few were listening for a pipsquoke signals on 80 CW,
worked all the S&P'ers I could find and the Mobiles were either S&P or
too weak for me to be heard. (Dratz!  I missed BROWn county with a
mobile trundled through - only heard him during his S&P effort).

Thanks to the Ohio QSO Party organizers for a great event!

p.s. My wife came down to Ohio with me to visit the kidz and
grandkiddoze.  Her comment was amazement that I'd travel 360+ miles to
put on a ham radio event solo!  After 50+ years she is very tolerant of
my ham radio adventures, but still sometimes wonders about my sanity
when it comes to hamming.