[OhQP-mail] Help - Selecting OQP sites in rarer counties-

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Mon Sep 20 11:08:44 EDT 2010

  Bob:

Don't know if this will get through on the reflector, so I'm copying you
direct also.

I found that a good way to find a place in a rare county was to look at
QRZ.com and search for zip codes in the particular county.  I then
contacted as many of the hams in the county as had listed their e-mail
address, and found several offers.  I chose one where the mayor of a
small town (McClure in my case) had been a ham but had let his license
lapse.  The village park had 60' poles for lighting the ball field, and
all wiring was underground so there was no possibility of electrocution,
and would have been ideal for a full size 80 meter horizontal loop
(might have been large enough for a full wave @ 160 metres.)  I didn't
have enough rope with me to scale four or more of the poles, so I used
one of them and a strategically located 70' high tree to support a
dipole, fed with 450 ohm feed line.  During late august the weather is
warm enough so a picnic shelter works fine, unless it really rains
catsanddawgs.   No mosquitoes - the village seemed to have them under
control, and other bugs didn't bother.

I also had possbilities from two other places in other villages which
made offers, one was next to a very busy railroad intersection, which
might have had RFI, and another one was in a different small town which
probably would have been satisfactory also.

Your idea of contacting Red Cross is a good one.  I'll try that approach
in the future.

"Multiple sites" in Multiple counties are OK according to the "rover"
category.  As long as the stations are in different counties the
contacts are good for other stations.  I suppose one would have to merge
all the logs together - that would be one to ask the contest rules
committee for a ruling, preferably before the contest.  FCC rules are
such that you're not supposed to put more than one signal on a band/mode
from a single location, but it's okay to operate the same call from more
than one location.  You'd certainly want to call 'CQ den N8Q/CNTY) like
mobiles did if you had multiple stations set up as permanent sites
throughout the contest period.  An alternative would be to operate one
setup as a rover.

As for Friday and Saturday evening accommodations - Knights Inn @
$49/night and no bed bugs or fleas in Napoleon, Ohio was great for me.
My wife would have turned up her nose, but, I'm not picky.  There was
one cheeper place, but I was a bit leery of it.  :)

73 de n8xx Hg
Operated as N8Q - HENRy County during OQP 2010

p.s. Hocking Hills State Park has some nice cabins for rent, but I think
that during August you need to rent them for an entire week.  I operated
once from Lake Hope State Park in VINTon county, tree were 70' tall, and
I had a great signal!