[OhQP-mail] KC8YJJ/M operating some east ohio counties

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Wed Aug 25 19:12:54 EDT 2010

Gary,

If you are planning to do all or most of your operating while stopped ( a
good idea if you are by yourself), you might consider operating as a  Rover.

That is, take a dipole or two, find a spot with a reasonable tree, and get
the center up as high as you can.  I've done it with a big nut on the end
of a string, giving it a good spin and release.  25 to 30 feet is  doable.
Then just string the ends out as far as you can and if there are  no other
trees around, just have a couple of bricks or the like to hold the  ends.

It likely won't take more than 15 minutes to get the antenna up, and you'll
 be a couple of S-units louder on 40 or 80. That's the difference between
people  hearing you (and being able to do some CQing), and getting sand
kicked in your  radio face.

On 20 meters and above the difference between a dipole and mobile whip  is
not so great, so probably not worth the time for that band.

As a Rover, you can still make qsos with your mobile antennas, so if you
work people while moving, or don't put up a dipole at some locations, no
problem.

Whatever you do, have fun this weekend, and good luck!

73   -    Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 8/25/2010 5:34:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,