[OhQP-mail] K8MR/M Ohio QSO Party Results

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 21:48:17 EDT 2009

 Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8MR/M
Operator(s): K8MR, AC8E
Station:  K8MR

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 26 Counties
Operating Time (hrs):  12

80:  357      58
40:  303     57
20:  106      8
15:    0      0
10:    0       0
--------------------
Total:  766    123  CW  Mults = 72  Ph Mults = 53  Total Score = 173,775

Club: Northern  Ohio DX Association

Comments:

By County, in order of  appearance:

CW    SSB
CARR   27    1
TUSC    13    1
HARR   26     6
GUER   27    1
BELM    26    2
MONR   34     1
NOBL   39    5
MUSK    38    2
MORG   32   16
PERR    25   15
HOCK   28    8
FAIR    17    6
PICK   19     7
FAYE   25    6
MADI    41    7
GREE   16     7
CLAR   32   10
GHAM   20     8
UNIO   39    9
LOGA    44    0
HARD   40     0
WYAN   31    3
MARI    28    0
CRAW   27     0
MORR   34    0
RICH    28    2

TOT   766    123     889

MULTS:
CTY     34    24       58
S/P    38     29      47

It was a good day to drive around  Ohio - pleasantly warm, no rain. My usual
driver, W8DRZ, had to back out as  he had been in the hospital earlier in
the
week. He was home by OQP time, and  we even managed to work on 75 SSB. John,
AC8E, filled in as designated driver  and did a fine job.

Conditions seemed mediocre, never getting any big  runs on 20 or on 40
during
the daylight hours. But with more 80 meter daytime  activity, including a
new
mobile "mini-window" at 3545, I had 80 meter CW  contacts from every county
except TUSC, and at least five from every other  one except GUER (1).  After
sunset, 80 meters went crazy, with huge  pileups and great rates. In the
last
hour, jogging along the county lines of  WYAN-MARI-CRAW-MORR-RICH, I had 120
qsos, which included some time spent on  SSB.

This was also the first time in any state party that I've had more  qsos on
80
CW than on 40 CW.

Notable qsos included KD0S/M in SD, who I  then managed to move from CW to
SSB
for a double mult. KL8DX, formerly KE8RO  from Ohio, was worked on both
modes. I
worked more in state mobiles than I  probably have in all other state
contests
combined. Several were ones in  nearby counties, but also some were in other
parts of the state when we  worked.

On the other hand I missed such stupid SSB mults as Indiana,  California,
Colorado, and all of 7-land except for KL8DX. But such is life in
multi-mode
state qso parties. My claimed score is only about 4K behind the  all time
mobile
record, so it would have taken only a few more mults to beat  the record.

Thanks to all who participated.  See next year in the  OQP. I'll likely be
out
for one day in the Pennsylvania QSO Party, and I may  show up from a cool
non-traditional place for a couple of the early fall  contests.

73  -  Jim   K8MR