[OhQP-mail] 80/75 in the mobile and other possible mobile tricks...

K9TM k9tm at buckeye-express.com
Fri Aug 21 18:05:32 EDT 2009

One thing I tried during MiQP (I was mobile) to cover SSB and CW with
one hamstick was to setup CW for 3.550 and SSB on 3.605 with the tuner
in the rig.  That allowed quick qsy's to give both modes.  It was
better than trying to fit another antenna on the vehicle or waiting
for a screwdriver to tune.  For some reason people seem to be in love
with 3.8 and above for ssb???

One other suggestion for the mobiles is while cq'ing on cw (once the
initial pileup calms down), put the sub receiver in the SSB band and
give an ssb freq too and listen on the sub too.  (Note that this means
the ssb station must call the mobile on the freq given!!!) That way
you can maximize your efforts and not waste time cq'ing on ssb where
it's tougher than on cw.  I tried this in MiQP as well and when people
caught on, it was neat.  If the practice becomes more common place, it
will be more efficient for all.  It tells the world you can do SSB,
where it sounds clear to the mobile to hear people calling, you're
ready to do some ssb as cw is slowing down, we don't have to interrupt
you to ask to qsy to ssb, etc...

I think Jim's intention with  3.545 is for the MOBILES to CQ on this
freq from time to time.  I'll be listening with a separate recv for
any mobiles I can hear.

Good luck to everyone, safe travels to all the mobiles.

73 Tim K9TM