[OhQP-mail] K8O (K8NZ and W8CAR) score and notes

Dan Kovatch w8carlog at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 10:38:27 CDT 2017

 Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8O
Operator(s): K8NZ W8CAR
Station: K8O

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: OHn
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:  378     17
   40:  214     37
   20:   77     24
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  669     78  CW Mults = 73  Ph Mults = 31  Total Score = 147,056

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:Great fun in the mobile this year. As usual the first few hours
were somewhat of a struggle. Even though 20 sounded open with a few loud
signals the activity didn’t seem to be there. 40 was THE band (as it
usually is in OH-IO).  The last two hours had Ron honking in the back seat
with two over 90 hours, mostly on 80 with occasional QSYs

Only two minor antenna glitches that were easily fixed on the side of the
road, each only taking a few minutes. The equipment and antennas all worked
well and the ops weren’t too bad either. One of the highlights of the
contest was OM2VL, who had the most QSOs with us of anyone. Laci had 30 Qs
and at one point late in the afternoon he moved us from 40 cw to ssb then
to 20 ssb then 20 cw- four Qs in 2 minutes! We even had two Qs on 80 with
him and he emailed that he heard us other times but we couldn’t hr him.
That was lots of fun. Other big log stuffers were N8BJQ, N4PN, AD8J, K1LT,
K8T, KU8E,  all WB5JID all with 16 Qs or more in the log.

No problems on the route and no real traffic tie ups. We had a new setup
this year with a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse used outboard from
the laptop-mad it much more comfortable than frying your legs!

Station: K8O
Elecraft K3, Winkey keyer, hamsticks for 20, 40 and 75 and the ever
evolving Frankentenna for 80 CW
XP laptop with separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse
Route prepared using TYRE, Google maps and Earth and navigated with a TOM
TOM

Once again thanks to all who got on and made Qs with us-that is what makes
it fun!

Dan W8CAR
Ron K8NZ