[OhQP-mail] N8Q preliminary report

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Sat Aug 22 22:31:34 CDT 2015

So, it wasn't just that I was in a black hole for RF.  There WAS a
Coronal Mass Ejection which clobbered the bands.  QRP was off an on,
for a few minutes there'd be numerous people calling CQ, and even a few
would answer my CQ's.  Then, they all disappear for up to a half hour.

Also, it seems that few people were spotting the rare counties like
CLINton - I was the only station who reported activating that county -
and didn't work any locals from nearby, so maybe I was the only one.  In
past events if I'd get spotted from a rare county I'd wind up with a
mini-pileup for 10 or 15 minutes.  Only once in the 7 hours I stuck with
the sucking conditions did anything like that approach fruition.

Sorry if I let people down who were looking for CLINton.  I didn't have
internet access except by going to the commissary - so I didn't know
about the Coronal Mass Ejection and the possibility that conditions
might get better in the evening.  10 Q's per hour isn't eggzactly
something about which to right home.

BUT, unless I copied many stations wrong, or they copied me wrong, I
should set a new record for QRP in CLINton county - a bit of 6K points
claimed according the N1MM+.

Which reminds me - why did N1MM+ run choppy code on me?  I used it for
the Pig Run last Sunday, and the code was near purrfect.    Is N1MM+
telling me that in order to run it with a quad core procesor at 1.6 GHz
I need to plunk down extra for Winkey or whatever the folks praise to
high heaven?  With N1MM traditional, I could run with a 1.5 GHz single
processor and never missed a beat in sending. N1MM+ sounds like it was
trying to win a Left Foot sending contest.

I'll look at the log and submit a quantitative report  later, right now
I'm beat.

  72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time
Operated N8Q at Cowan Lake State Park, CLINton County