[OhQP-mail] Suggestion for 2015 (Or later) OHQP

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Sun Apr 13 14:07:30 CDT 2014

David:

You guessed it.  For quite some time, there WAS a bias against a certain
"non-contest group" from Southwest Ohio who succeeded in winning two,
sometimes (including an individual plaque given to a member of the
group) three plaques each year in spite of attempts by the contest
adjudicating committee to throw out, ignore, or otherwise disqualify
some of the entries from that group.  I had to jump in and point out the
error of their ways at least twice, maybe three times.  I've never
received an apology from those who tried to quash the efforts of the
group from SW Ohio, so I see no reason to use diplomatic language in my
suggestions.

I've made other suggestions for changes in the past, and in the vast %
of cases (well over half-vast cases) they were either ignored completely
or I was told publicly that "we've always done it the way we've been
doing it, and we're not about to change."

Personally, I was dumbfounded that the scoring committee didn't come up
with ways of disallowing 3 consecutive wins by N8XX (Operator) of
N8Q/HENRy -2010, N1L/BROWn-2011, K6JSS/UNIOn-2012 for the QRP plaque in
the OHQP those years.  I almost believe they're actually NOT biased
folks - so perhaps I SHOULD change my adversarial stance toward their
actions.  And, I'm glad that some "real" competition occurred in 2013,
because some of my "wins" were meagre in comparison to past winners.

If the good Lord's willin' and I'm "still pumping blood" as the saying
goes, I promise to invade Ohio again in 2014 for the August event.  I
haven't decided on which county.  I do note that operating in a county
which has only one fixed station (like UNIOn, HENRy, and BROWn) adds
about 10 dB to the readability of a low powered station, so I'll be
looking for some location within striking distance of DELAware county
which hasn't had a fixed entry for the past couple years.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time