[OhQP-mail] Multi-operator logging options

Robert AC8GE ac8ge at arrl.net
Wed Jun 19 22:31:40 CDT 2013

Tim and the Group,

We are not currently using any rig control or interfacing with our radios.
Last year we used an Alinco DX77 and an Icom 7000. It is more of a thing
where we just get together and "run what was brung." :) I would like a way
to work on finding dupes during the QSO party and having sequential serial
numbers.

Last year, we divided up the bands between the two radios and ran separate
serial number counts per station. After the event I merged the two N3FJP
log files into one, sorted on date/time, and was able to generate my
contest entry from that. Since we didn't operate on the same band, we
didn't have any problems with dupes.

Ideally I would like to be able to band hop as needed, like a single
operator station would, to adjust for band conditions and propagation. Say
when all that is left is 40m and 80m, depending on situations, it would be
nice to go back and forth. Or if one of us wanted to run CW and the other
Phone, I don't want to cause confusion to other contesters because our
serials are not in sequence. An example of when this would be a problem is
when operating on the same band, on separate modes, and one station asks
the phone operator for a cw multiplier. If the cw operator is not on the
same serial, this could cause the other station to question the validity of
the serial provided on the second QSO, asking for repeats, etc, thereby
lowering the QSO rate (not that it would be very high anyways).

The computers would not be generating CW or controlling external devices.
We are just getting together to have a little fun and see what happens. I
would say "casual" contesting for the fun of promoting Ohio and a rarer
county.

At this point, I think I will give N1MM another spin and see if I can get
my laptop to talk with my desktop. If I can get that part working, then it
will be easier to get things set up at the site when the other operator
brings their personal laptop to try.

Thanks for the bandwidth.

73,
Robert AC8GE