[OhQP-mail] Quick questions about setup of N1MM software

Kenneth Silverman kenny.k2kw at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 15:21:54 CDT 2012

Hi Rick,

You are reasonably set up... but to clarify on a few points:

*Assisted*:  doesn't really matter, as packet is allowed and there is no
specific category for assisted

*Xmitter Category*: If you change this to Unlimited, you should get rid of
the M/2 naming stuff.  RUN1 and RUN2 are designators for the M/2 categories
in CQWW and ARRL DX etc.

Will you be networked?  If only 2 computers, you can do this via a wireless
router, or just use an Ethernet CROSSOVER cable and go direct to the
computers.  If you are networked, follow the N1MM directions explicitly,
especially with regards to only using static IP addresses and NOT the
computer name and dynamic IP addresses.  The latter combination causes
issues in network performance.

When using packet, it would be wise to add some filters (at the node) to
limit what you get.  Mostly mobiles get spotted, so I personally just
filter for the mobiles/rovers who have announced just to limit what I get.
But that's just the way I do it...

Allowing spots from RBN will help finding the mobiles on CW, though RBN
isn't very smart as it doesn't know what to do with K8MR/UNIO will often
show up as K8MR/UN in the Available Window.  And the program thinks K8MR/UN
and K8MR/UNIO are different, so if you logged Jim in Union as K8MR or
K8MR/UNIO, RBN will keep saying you need to work K8MR/UN.  Just FYI.

Best of luck and make some noise!

73, Kenny K2KW

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Richard Langford KD8LCD <kd8lcd at kd8lcd.com