[OhQP-mail] K8O mobile score and comments for OHQP

Dan w8car at buckeye-express.com
Tue Aug 31 15:52:59 CDT 2021

     Ohio QSO Party - 2021

Call: K8O
Operator(s): W8CAR K8NZ
Station: K8O

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: oh
Operating Time (hrs): 11.16

   80:  331      7
   40:  296     27
   20:  101      2
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  728     36  CW Mults = 89  Ph Mults = 21  Total Score = 164,120

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

The K8O mobile operation went off with only a few glitches. The bands sounded great in the first few hours and we had hopes of 1K Qs but the afternoon doldrums got us as always. We seemed to sense activity was down a bit with good wx, less covid restrictions and other things to intervene. The mobile setup was the best we have ever had and no real hardware hang ups other than a head lamp that refused to work (but while tearing down the car today it worked just fine).

We did manage to go off course a few times and think we were in Marion 3 times due to planning error on my part. The OLD Tom-tom GPS decided to go rouge near Lima and kept routing us back to a previous spot so we turned it off and used “ye olde road atlas” which had the route marked on it. We missed a few counties, Ottawa being one, due to time. Ron managed to navigate the Route 6 detour from a 1970s B horror movie to get us back on track. Really, no sign, no warning just “road closed” turn here. Luckily it was not toooooo far out of the way.

Things we learned:
The 80 meter antenna will not go through a McDonalds drive thru (yes, we tried!)
People really stare at a car with 4 antennas on it
The  far NW part of Ohio is REALLY dark at night and they have some of the deepest ditches in the world
Ohio still can’t mark detours correctly

Top QSO counts

K1LT 23
W5TM 20
OM2VL 19

TNX all the Qs and I really don’t know why we do this but my wife assures me it’s some sort of sickness

73 till next year