[OhQP-mail] N8KR Air Mobile

Ken Rogner krogner at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 13:23:25 EDT 2011

40m    ssb     5 qso's
75m    ssb    76 qso's

81 qso's, 31 mults, operated in 6 counties

After rigging the plane with a 20 meter vee and a trailing 33 foot wire, We left Fort Wayne Smith Field in my Cherokee 160 at 2200utc.  The flight to Ohio gave me time to tune the 40 meter wire and begin making qso's using the pilot's call sign, W9CB.  40 was great and by the time we hit Van Wert, N8KR was making q's - after 5, the band went very long for us and the only stations I heard were foreign broadcast and DX. I tried 20 meters with no success so we flew to Leipsic, OH, landed and added 29 feet of wire to the trailing antenna. For the next 49 minutes we made 76 contacts, all on 75 phone.  We stayed at about 2000 AGL and kept the speed at about 90 Knots.  The rig was an Icom 706 MKII, logging was paper, two gps units were used - the main Apollo 360 in dash was used for navigation, the Garmin 195 was used for county line identification.   We were in the air for a total of 2 hours and 5 minutes, burned 13.3 gallons of fuel for about $1.00 a
 qso!