[OhQP-mail] A Few Suggestions

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Aug 26 15:11:52 EDT 2011

I'd like to offer some operating suggestions for tomorrow's Ohio QSO  Party:

1. While we all get into the fun of chasing other Ohio counties, remember
that people outside Ohio will also be looking for us!  We don't want to
invite people to our party and then ignore them. While 75 meters is likely to
be  very good within the state, do spend time on the other bands where people
 outside Ohio will have a better chance of working us. Doing so will also
help  your score!

2.  Don't give up on 20 and 15 meters. Last night I was working  California
at 10:30 pm EDT on 15 meters, with good signals. 20 was also open to  the
midwest and further at that time.

3.  If you hear a mobile calling, try to work him before going back to
other stations. It is likely he is only going to be in a given county for a
short time - 30 minutes will get one across most Ohio counties - so he can't
afford to waste time waiting for you to work others first. And there's a
good  chance he may be in some rare county!

4.  Also, if a mobile (or rover) calls, don't worry that he might be a
duplicate qso. He's probably changed counties since the last time you worked,
so  you can work him again for credit.

5.  Although you don't want to intentionally work "dupes", don't worry
about it if you do. We'll catch them in the log checking and there is no
penalty  for having them in your log. And often it takes longer to tell the guy he
is a  dupe than it does to just work him again.

6.  And perhaps most important, keep in mind that there will be a  major
hurricane hitting the East Coast this weekend. While there are presently  no
official emergency frequencies set aside, and most state and local  emergency
nets are in parts of the bands where there will be little OhQP  activity,
be aware of the situation and avoid interfering with any emergency
communications.

Have a great time in the contest!

73  -

Jim Stahl   K8MR