[OhQP-mail] Reverse Beacon Network and OhQP

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Tue Aug 23 10:09:21 EDT 2011

Yup, Jim:

Thanks for the clarification.  It seems a bit strange that the operator
of a station may NOT determine if his/her station is actually being
heard by checking for his/her call (and his/her call only) in the RBN.
Note, even for a LID like n8xx, entering one's call in the "find" how
his call is being heard is quite easy to figure out.

BTW, the Michigan gang allows any (yes any - single or multi-) operator
to SPOT people on the DXclusters as long as he/she turns off INCOMING
info for other stations, even though using the clusters to FIND other
station (via incoming info) is not permitted..

The rules committee for the Ohio event might, just might, consider
something like "Use of a local or Reverse Beacon Network (RBN) skimmer
to FIND other stations is not permitted.  Use of the RBN to determine
how one's own signal is doing is permitted."

BTW, I make the suggestion with trepidation, because I've found in the
past that, it seems to me, "Rules are rules, and which 'mere peon
participant' would question the rules?"

72/73 de n8xx Hg
Operating N1L/BROWn during OQP 2011