[OhQP-mail] OhQP email announcements

Kenneth Silverman kenny.k2kw at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 15:03:54 EDT 2010

With approval from AA8IA I wanted to repost my response to Mike I sent on
the MRRC reflector.  Mike had mentioned he sent an email out to some of the
local (rare counties) around him encouraging others to get on the air for
the OhQP.

I have been doing a lot of behinds the scene work to get the word out, but
any help I can get to make sure the word is being spread to every Ohio
reflector group would be most appreciated!

Kenny K2KW

to let others know I have created a database with well over 300 Ohio
Organizations, and of those I have a valid email list of about 290
organizations.  That said, it's unclear if I'm getting to the right people.
I just sent out my 2nd announcement this past weekend, and
some of the callsigns that have posted on the OhQP county reservation
website (and soon to be
posted) are a direct result of that email campaign.  I plan on sending out 2
more announcements before the contest.

I have also started sending some
direct emails to hams in some of the rarer counties where I don't have email
addresses for to see if we can get
fixed station activity in all 88 counties (I have lofty goals!).

If you haven't seen an OhQP announcement on your local reflector by now, I
would appreciate you sending out a notice.  Even if you are part of a VHF,
ARES, QCWA etc.
group, send out a notice!  You never know where an email will spark some
activity.

One (predominantly) VHF club just told me they will be activating their EOC
station as a multi -op, so the word is getting out.

Below is the notice I just sent out to ~290 organizations

73, Kenny K2KW

The Ohio QSO Party (OhQP) is just 5 weeks away, and the excitement is
already building.  Stations from across Ohio are making their plans to be on
the air for one of the premier state QSO parties.  Small stations from Ohio
can make hundreds of QSOs during the short 12 hour event.  Get on and call
"CQ Ohio QSO Party" and run the pileups!  We hope you will join us to make
this the best event yet - our goal is to get fixed operations on from every
county this year.  If you are planning on being on, please let everyone know
by posting your county of operation on the "Planned Operations" website at
http://ohqp.org/plannedOpsEntry.html

For those who don't know what the OhQP is all about, it's a fun time for
Ohio stations to be on the air and be the hunted station, or "DX".  People
from around the world are seeking out Ohio stations in this event, which is
a nice change from most operating events.  The OhQP occurs on Saturday
August 28, 2010 from local noon to local midnight.  In the basic QSO
exchange, Ohio stations send a consecutive serial number + county, and
non-Ohioans (who can only work Ohio) send a consecutive serial number and
state/province/DX.  Suggested frequencies are:  CW: 3545, 7045, 14,045,
21,045, 28,045 kHz; SSB 3825, 7200, 14,250, 21,300, and 28,450 kHz.  Don't
be shy - try calling CQ in addition to searching and pouncing.  Remember,
the world is tuning the bands looking for Ohio stations - your CQ's will be
answered!  Full details and an OhQP operating guide can be found on the
official website at: www.ohqp.org/.

This is a great event for a club activity or a training ground for new(er)
hams.  QSO rates are as high or higher than Field Day, and there's virtually
no QRM in this event.  Round up the club and have some fun.  If you are in
the mood to enjoy the great Ohio countryside, try operating portable or
mobile from a rare county.  Remember, the ultimate goal is to just get on
the air and have some fun!

73 and we hope to hear you on the air,

Kenny K2KW
Ohio QSO Party PR Coordinator