[OhQP-mail] Lack of CW Activity - or was it QRP or QLF?

Mike Tindor AA8IA aa8ia at aa8ia.org
Tue Aug 31 20:03:59 EDT 2010

80m CW was far from disappointing to me.   I think it must have been more
unique to where you live or because you were running QRP.   Here in EOH I
had no problem funding many many CW signals on 80m.   Perhaps not as many as
I expected.   I knew that with the massive PR blitz there would be increased
activity -- I guess I was thinking it was going to all show up on CW.   I
doubt the contest has "gone" SSB, but rather I am guessing that a
significant number of first-time OhQP stations that were on the air this
year probably chose SSB.    It's a lot easier for clubs and such to find SSB
ops for a QSO Party I would think.

So if the increase in SSB is directly related to the number of additional
stations on the air this year that weren't on last year/previous years, I
certainly don't mind the additional SSB.   I'm just saddened that I didn't
count on that.   Had I been prepared to operate on 80m SSB it certainly
would have increased the fun factor for me.   Next year I won't make that
mistake, and I welcome all the additional SSB.   I worked a few of them, and
it sure sounded like they were having a lot of fun, in a very relaxed sort
of way.   I can dig that.

Mike