[OhQP-mail] OhQP N8Q(N8XX) SOAB QRP

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Sun Aug 29 14:52:29 EDT 2010

                     Ohio QSO Party

Call: N8Q
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8Q

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: HENRy Co
Operating Time (hrs): 9

    80:   78     86
    40:   23     11
    20:   13      1
    15:    0      0
    10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  114     98  CW Mults = 65  Ph Mults = 60  Total Score = 40,750

Club: Queen City Emergency Net

Comments:

Great location for QRP operation.  McClure Village park has a ball field
surrounded by 60'+ high light poles, underground wiring to the bottom of
each pole, so no danger of electrocution from overhead wires, and a
strategically  located tree a bit over 110' from a light pole, so
feeders from a dipole is almost exactly above the picnic shelter.

Conditions seemed "so-so" for 20 and 40 metres - didn't even try 15 or 10.

Attempted to use a "new" Heath QRP Tuner, but it didn't seem to find a
match on 40 or 80 metres, so put a LDG Z-11 which I borrowed from KA5S
for the event.  Wow!  After I figured out that I had accidentally put it
into manual tune mode, it was one "key down" on a frequency (actually
with the antenna I used it was one "key down" on each band even between
CW and SSB, and a click or two from the auto tuner and SWR <= 1.5!

As with the recent Michigan QSO Party, I was delightedly surprised at
the ability of QRP to work 75 SSB - Don't know if others were spotting
me, but sometimes, especially on phone, there'd be a run of 10, 15, or
more stations trying to contact me.  It certainly didn't hurt that I was
in HENRy county, and an antenna up <60' didn't hurt either.

Thanks to Darl, NA8W, and his daughter Jerae, for getting me in contact
with the mayor of McClure.   Thanks also to Dean Dawson, Mayor of
McClure for permission and hospitality during the weekend.  And, last
but not least, thanks to the OQP leadership for putting on an excellent
event.

72/73 de n8xx Hg