[OhQP-mail] N1MM Rover/Mobile changes

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Sat Aug 29 22:34:45 EDT 2009

I'm not an N1MM user, at least not yet. But as a veteran mobile contester
I'm happy to offer some opinions and suggestions.

Here in Ohio we avoid most of these issues by not allowing county line
qsos.

I like very much NA's approach to logging mobiles as they change  counties,
the "QTH Must Match For Dupe" feature.  With that,  one enters a mobile
callsign, where the most recent QTH will come up  with a dupe warning.  But wh
en you enter the new QTH, it accepts the  qso with no need to type any "/M"
or "/CUYA" appended to the  callsign.

Typically I spend an average of 30 minutes per county.

Any logging program for mobile operation should require zero mouse
operations after initial setup (i.e. when not in motion).  Bouncing on  rough roads
is not a good time for using a mouse!

Attention needs to be paid to qso parties using serial numbers  (such as
OH, MI, PA, CA). Mobiles should have the option of using one  serial number
sequence, or starting new number sequences for each  county.  I prefer the
later.  Keep in mind that mobiles may leave  and later return to a county, so
if using separate sequences the software  needs to pick up at the correct
number when reentering a county.

For changing counties, I would prefer a text command in the callsign field
such as "COUNTY=CUYA" which would change all county references  (including
keyer memories) to CUYA.  An alternative of a drop down  menu for counties
is OK so long as it is not the only way.

I would like score windows (including breakdowns for band/modes) for both
the current county and the overall totals.  It is important to keep track
by county so you don't forget an important band/mode.

The best thing N1MM could add to the state of the art is to find a good way
 to allow people - mainly non mobiles - to operate several simultaneous qso
 parties (or other contests).  Please provide an easy way to toggle between
 contests, so that one can quickly see the score, multiplier lists, and
qsos with  only the desired contest, as well as changing keyer memories if
necessary.

With this you might include an option to see all qsos.

You might also provide for automatic contest selection by callsign  area:
for example if set up for New England, Indiana, and  7-land  contests,
typing a call with "9"  ("W9RE") would select the Indiana log,  while keeping an
override available so one could select the 7QP after typing  K9JF (in
Washington state).

73  -   Jim  K8MR

In a message dated 8/29/2009 9:50:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,