[OhQP-mail] And Another Survivor

Hal Offutt hal at japancorporateresearch.com
Sun Aug 23 12:42:52 EDT 2009

Wow, great condx + great wx (in Ohio anyhow) + great activity + great ops = much fun.  But suffering from PCD (post contest depression) today.

Prelim number is 384 Q's from six counties in about 9 hours of casual operating with the XYL along (she slept half of the time), not my usual no-break all-out marathon.  But I'm still exhausted.  Spending over 12 hours in the driver's seat is pretty tiring.

I spent more time than usual trying to work phone mults; have not added up the numbers to see if I was successful.  I did okay on 20 SSB with the western mults, but couldn't get anything going on 40 SSB so I am missing most of the east of the Mississippi mults on SSB.  There were lots of loud guys in NY, VA, etc. calling OH stations that I couldn't hear but they were not calling CQ.  75 was the usual painful grind but I did eke out some in-state mults.  20 was very painful too; I would get a run going and then some other OH station that couldn't hear me would come on and take over my frequency.  It's an old story and the only thing you can do is try to find another freq or get some loud western station to tell the OH station that he is crushing a puny mobile.

This contest has really reached a great level of activity and is definitely established as a major late-summer event!

More later when I recover.

73, Hal W1NN