[OhQP-mail] Ohio QSO Party and CT

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Aug 21 23:28:28 EDT 2009

On behalf of K8AZ I was looking into making up some files for CT to  spoof
it into being able use the California QSO Party configuration to handle  the
Ohio QSO Party. (Both contests use the Serial Number/QTH exchange  format;
CQP allows some bands that OQP does not).

After editing the first half dozen Ohio counties into the California .DAT
file, I decided to test it before I spent any more time doing the manual
editing. I was using Version 10.01.008 (DOS).

I then discovered that not  only would it accept the counties I had added,
but ones that I had not added as  well. In fact, it will accept just about
anything you put into the QTH  field.

This version of CT apparently was pre-Cabrillo for CQP, but it  appears to
correctly put the information into the .ALL file. I did not test all  the
other bells and whistles of CT (keyer, DVK, computer-radio interface, etc.),
but it does produce a readable log.

I've done little testing beyond what  I described above, using only one
version of CT. So there are lots of  disclaimers and YMMV's. CT used in this
manner comes nowhere close to scoring  the contest properly, and displayed
multipliers will be all screwed up. For  example, Ohio's WYANdot county is
interpreted as WYoming. The first number  received defaults to 59 or 599. And so
on.

CT is definitely not the  logging software of choice for the OQP. But if CT
is the only logging program  you have that comes close to supporting OQP,
give it a try. Again, just pretend  you are operating the California QSO
Party (from California).

I hope to  see many of you in the Ohio QSO Party, Saturday, August 22.
1600z to 0400z  (Aug 23).

Full info at  www.ohqp.org

73    -   Jim   K8MR