[OhQP-mail] 80 meter daylight ops

Ralph Matheny mathenyr at marietta.edu
Thu Aug 13 21:45:20 EDT 2009

My experience is that 80 and 75 are good enough to allow state-wide contacts all afternoon, especially on CW. But...
my CQ's on both SSB and CW as a rover in the past have been a
waste of energy, as not many are tuned into those bands.  I
always work K8MR and 3 or 4 other guys at the start of the
party on 80, but then all is dead until about 4:00 or so.  I'd
think the band was closed except for hearing other stations
chewing rag on the band...mostly 8 area stations within a couple
hundred miles.  By dark 80 is the place to be, QRN and all.

So...as K8MR suggests, I second the idea of a  radio tuned to
3545 or 3800 as a great idea for a few mults.  Setting a time
for mobiles/rovers to be on a particular freq just won't work.
I cant afford to abandon a pileup on the outside chance that
I'll make a conact or two someplace else.  The ole bird in the
hand concept, you know......  But...before I leave each setup
I will make some noise on 75/80 at some point.  I'd love to
add a few mults/Q's there.

Still no driver, still looking.

See you all 22 Aug.

K8RYU