[OhQP-mail] Daytime 80 meter activity

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 16:24:38 EDT 2009

My experience as a mobile that trying to meet any sort of tight schedule
usually conflicts with whatever else is going on at the time - good runs,
crossing county lines, QRN filled stretches,  etc.

A very good thing for anyone with two or more radios - whether single op or
 multiop - would be to leave one on 3545 CW with the wide filter mode -in
the background (on speaker?) so if you hear any activity you can jump there.
I  will occasionally try a quick CQ there during the day, but won't spend
much time  if there is no action. For this to work well the home stations
ought to keep  3545 +/- a KHz or so clear during the day.

I've been able to work K8RYU from halfway across the state at the beginning
 at noon, on both CW and SSB. Whether it's propagation or activity, I've
not had  much 80 meter luck after the start until maybe 3-4 pm.  The best
times  on 75 are often late afternoon - 5 to 7 pm local.  After  that noise and
QRM often pick up.

CQing on 75 SSB as a mobile is rarely productive.  SSB fixed  stations
would probably do better trying an occasional CQ on 75 during  the day.

If anyone wants to offer their frequency to a weak SSB mobile  (e.g. me), I
am always glad to accept such an offer. I probably won't  last long there,
but there will certainly be an incentive for me to  call you later on from
another county.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 8/13/2009 3:54:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,