[OhQP-mail] Ohio QSO Party in 3 days!

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 13:18:45 CDT 2020

 A few more tips/suggestions:

1.  Please keep 3545 KHZ, +/- 0.5 KHz open for mobiles. That way with a quick check there, including during daylight hours, any activity there ought to involve a mobile station, who may well be in a rare county.
2. For Ohio stations, don't forget the higher bands (20 meters and up). There will be plenty of stations in more distant parts of the country (and around the world) looking for Ohio, who won't be able to hear us on the more usual 80/40 meters. We don't want to invite people to our party and then not make an effort to talk with them!

3.  For those outside Ohio, consider some occasional "CQ OHIO" calls. There are lots of Ohio stations (as well as everywhere else) who aren't especially loud and/or who aren't comfortable CQing - some CQs from out of state can often be productive in raising these people.

4. For people inside Ohio who aren't accustomed to CQing - give it a try! People will be looking for Ohio stations. It can be quite a rush having all those folks calling you!
5. From one who is fortunate to spend winters in Florida, Ohio stations occasionally point your antennas south. I sometimes think the average Florida antenna support structure also out of necessity supports a flag. So even if we can hear you from down there, you often don't hear us if your antennas are pointed at the west coast!

But most important - get on the air and have fun in the Ohio QSO Party!

73   -   Jim   K8MR
OhQP Chairman