[OhQP-mail] A Request for a little help from friends... N1MM

Mike Tindor AA8IA aa8ia at aa8ia.org
Wed Aug 19 09:44:15 CDT 2015

Some errors corrected.

Using the latest version of N1MM+, the only issue I see is that by
default N1MM+ sets the "Sent Exchange" to the ARRL section configured in
N1MM+, and that is not what we want in the "Sent Exchange" field for the
OHQP when we are operating from within Ohio -- we want the
four-character state abbreviation.

A proper configuration would be like this:

1. Select File --> New Log in Database

a. Set "Log Type" = QSOPARTY
b. Set "State for Log Type QSOPARTY" to: OH
c. Set "Sent Exchange" to: your four-letter county abbrev (eg: JEFF)
d. Set "Operators" to the callsign in use for the content (eg: AA8IA)

I do notice that my N1MM+ plus defaults to tossing my state "OH" in as
the Sent Exchange by default. It is actually pulling that default value
from the ARRL Section field under Config--> Change Your Station Data,
which is where you enter in your general station information when you
initially set up N1MM+. Obviously that does no good in this contest for
Ohio stations since we need to be sending our four-character county
abbreviation.

NOTE: In my case, under Config --> Change your Station Data, there are
actually two places where OH is specified, once under State and once
under ARRL Section. But I have verified that N1MM is pulling the default
OH value for the Sent Exchange from the ARRL Section field in Config -->
Change your Station Data. N1MM+ users will not want to modify that
section. Instead they would want to simply set the "Sent Exchange" as
described in item C above.

So, in the case of Ohio stations operating in the OHQP and using
N1MM(+), make sure that item C above is set correctly to your
four-character county abbreviation.

When I generate the Cabrillo file (via File--> Generate Cabrillo), my
generated log looks something like this:

START-OF-LOG: 3.0
LOCATION: OH
CALLSIGN: AA8IA
CLUB: Mad River Radio Club
CONTEST: OH-QSO-PARTY
CATEGORY-OPERATOR: SINGLE-OP
CATEGORY-ASSISTED: ASSISTED
CATEGORY-BAND: ALL
CATEGORY-MODE: MIXED
CATEGORY-POWER: LOW
CATEGORY-STATION: FIXED
CATEGORY-TRANSMITTER: ONE
CLAIMED-SCORE: 1
OPERATORS: AA8IA
NAME: Mike Tindor
ADDRESS: 56 Lookout Dr
ADDRESS-CITY: Toronto
ADDRESS-STATE-PROVINCE: OH
ADDRESS-POSTALCODE: 43964
ADDRESS-COUNTRY: US
CREATED-BY: N1MM Logger+ 1.0.5103.0
QSO: 14200 PH 2015-08-19 1414 AA8IA 59 JEFF AB1CD 59 VT
END-OF-LOG:

Notice it does have the correct county in there. So people who have set
up the log for OHQP should go to File --> Open Log in Database, select
the logfile for the current OHQP that they are running, and make sure
that A, B, C and D as described above are set properly.

I do not see any field after the state I worked [VT in the example
above], but there does seem to be about 9 characters of whitespace after
the VT in the log, if that matters.

Mike / AA8IA