[OhQP-mail] Is there a way to harvest e-mail addresses from QRZ.com?

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Wed Jul 24 11:53:55 CDT 2013

It would be nice to compile a list of General + Extra Class licensees in
various counties in Ohio (and Michigan, for that matter) for publicity
for the Ohio (and Michigan) QSO Parties?  I believe one may purchase
such lists from several places, but they're expensive.

It "should" be possible to developan algorithm to checkhams by zip code,
and harvest name and e-mail address for those with listed e-mail
addresses, and deposit the results into a database.

Am I "blowing smoke" on such a subject?  I"know" it can be done
manually, I've done it for a few particular zip codes which interested
me for other uses, but doing this manually is quite tedious.  If a human
can direct a computer to do something, it should be possible to run some
sort of script to do the same thing, and it would be much faster.

Or, is something like the "Call Book" CD's which are sold by various
commercial establishments more amenable to harvesting of such info?

If we'dhave such a database, I'd volunteer to send individualized e-mail
invitations tofolks in the "rarer" counties to see if we could drum up
more business.  I believe we should make a concerted attempt to get at
least one fixed station in each of the 88 counties. It's very difficult
to contact all counties during the Ohio QSO parties with only one or two
mobiles making a transit across a county. Propagation is often
unfavorable, and timing must be exact to catch a mobile.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time