[OhQP-mail] multi operator logging help with serial numbers

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Mon Jul 9 14:33:21 CDT 2012

Rick:

I concur with Tom, KV8Q's suggestion to use N1MM with a bit of
trepidation.  N1MM is a GREAT package.  It has all the bellzandwhistles
about which every top contester dreams. But, note K8TM's comment in an
earlier message "If you're willing to spend some time and effort"....

Before you start, may I suggest you look at a couple webinars hosted by
Potomac Valley Radio Club:

Visit the PVRC web site at
http://www.pvrc.org/webinar/webinars.htm
and choose the two which were recently recorded about N1MM (They are
near the bottom of the page):
N1MM logger in depth: Part 1 Overview
<http://www.pvrc.org/webinar/n1mm2012.wmv>
and
N1MM logger in depth: Part 2 Multi and digital
<http://www.pvrc.org/webinar/n1mm2_2012.wmv>

These are the best tutorials on N1MM which I've run across.  The first
one tells some of the basics of how N1MM is set up.  The second is about
networking the software.  Pay very close attention to how the network is
set up, make the wrong choice and it WON'T work or may be erratic.

I'll also try to find PDF tutorial which a club member found on minute
details of the N1MM network.  It was very useful to us here in Grand
Rapids. I can't find it right now.

After you get N1MM networked set up and running to your satisfaction,
refer any and all of your members to a tutorial on "how N1MM software
works" which is on the web at

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Video+-+Operating+N1MM+Logger+on+Field+Day#Video_Operating_N1MM_Logger_on_Field_Day

if that gets truncated, try this one

http://tinyurl.com/budpgkr

This is a 12 minute tutorial on what an operator will see when arriving
at a station with N1MM networked version installed. This tells enough so
that a "typical" operator should be able to operate with minimal
difficulty. It explains things very clearly, so even a dunce like me can
understand.  While it explains Field Day, something like  99.44% of the
information is directly translatable to a State QSO Party operation.

N1MM REALLY works slick if you can connect your rigs to the software.
Then it keeps track of the frequency & mode being used, changes the
frequency and mode in the software to match what is shown in the rig(s),
etc.  We had N1MM networking set up for the W8M Field Day in Grand
Rapids this year.  Two of three rigs @ our Field Day were capable of
such an interface, but the owners chose NOT to connect them to the
computers/software, so we at somewhat of a disadvantage.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
Operating from Union County as K6JSS/UNIO during OHQP 2012

On 7/9/2012 8:31 AM, Tom Hain wrote:
 > Richard-
 >     I would suggest loading N1MM.  It's free and setting up the
network isn't that difficult.  Get the PC's networked together first and
then merely follow the directions to get N1MM setup.  If you need a
hand, please let me know.  And, N1MM lets you work dupes where N3FJP's
program does not allow that feature (which in today's world, is essential).

 >     Have a great day-
 > 73
 > tom  KV8Q  ar

conception of how most multi-multi stations are set up and operated.
Maybe they should ask how a "typical" multi multi station is set up for
bands and modes.

 > Setting up for a networked version of N1MM, for example, takes
someone skilled in the art of reading hieroglyphics (though the last
tutorial I saw seemed close to "normal English") to set it up for
contesting, and a second genius who know about computer networking to
set up the special network it requires. Once you get something like that
set up, though, N1MM networked mode works likes a champ.

 > 73 DE n8xx Hg
 >
 > On 7/7/2012 1:25 PM, Richard Lang ford KS8LCD wrote:
 > >
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > I have a question regarding multi operator and multi mode logging
 > >
 > > Current our club is using the N3FJP software suite for event loggings,
 > >
 > > We have download and installed the latest state QSO Party logging
software from there site.

 > > I sent him an email regarding the NON Network abilities with his
program for state QSO parties in hopes he had an easy less confusing
answer to Multi Operator and or Multi Modes on a band. See below

 > > : Hi Rick,
 > >
 > > Thanks for your e-mail. Right now, I have network versions coded
for six of my contesting programs. After the rewrite, I hope to have
network versions for all of them.

 > > Presently, other than Field Day, the stand alone versions of my
software are not designed to combine your log data. If you are very
careful, you can open each of your log.txt files in Notepad and then
copy and paste the data into a master file. Be very careful not to
introduce any extra carriage returns or formatting characters. You'll
want to double check the end of the file as that is where extra carriage
returns often appear. Of course, back up all your data before your
begin. This method will not check for duplicates.