[OhQP-mail] N8Q/N8XX HENRy County SOAB QRP First comments

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Sun Aug 29 08:22:55 EDT 2010

  Tired but happy.

The Mayor of McClure welcomed me to the village of McClure.  It has
everything an itinerant contester desires - two or three restaurants, a
gas station/convenience store, and a hardware store!  PLUS, a village
park with a large picnic shelter.   Numerous antenna supports - one
could make a full wave 160 metre loop antenna by stringing an antenna
between the 60+ foot poles around a lighted baseball field.  However I
chose to put up a 100' dipole fed with open wire line between one of the
poles and a strategically located tree.  This made a difference, I'm sure.

Highlights were meeting local hams - KC8TCQ was in town on Friday, and
we had a nice chat.  He reported he contracted a bug, and couldn't make
it on Saturday.  Another ham (who I forgot to note in the log) came over
and we had a nice chat, while I was trying to get my "new" Heath QRP
tuner to work - never got it to work, and in so doing missed W1NN/M as
he was driving through HENRy county. :(

W1NN and I had a good eyeball QSO before the event - wow! what a nice
setup for mobiling!  We had met during a Field Day effort when we used
his call K8HVT/4 in northern Kentucky some 47 years before.  We did
change a bit in physical appearance during those intervening years.

Firs stats - 212 Q's, 98 on SSB, 114 on CW. Marginal conditions on 20
and 40, didn't even try 15 or 10 because of the conditions on 20.
Again, 75 Phone surprised me - several "runs" of 15 or so Q's in a row.
Did anyone spot me on the DX clusters?  125 multipliers total, which is
near a record for me.

I gave up at 0200Z, things were getting slow on 75 and 80 metres, the
ball game was over, and they were threatening to turn out the lights on
the ball field!

Anyone wanting a paper QSL, send a SASE to N8XX QTHR.

73 de n8xx Hg
Operating N8Q/HENRy county during OQP 2010