[OhQP-mail] OhQP- ADDING 160M

w3hkk at roadrunner.com w3hkk at roadrunner.com
Tue Sep 1 09:00:34 EDT 2009

The comment made that while  the PaQP uses 160m   it is  primarily  an intra-state contest is a good point. It's how I look at all QPs in populated states - primarily intra-state events.  So if you stimulate the intrastate ops, the resultant noise will attract those in neighboring states, and beyond, and you have a bigger, better Party.

The more the merrier.

Learning to use the bands is another part of the fun. Back around 2003 I managed to work all Pa counties in their QP- on 40m! ... thanks to  blanket short skip. Sigs were weak but plentiful, especially on a horizontal loop and with 100w.  One guy in Ashtabula Co even broke in to tell me to turn off the amp as I was  way too strong. That was  a year I wont forget...working all Pa Counties.

It's amazing how 160 can show itself during periods of activity like the 160m contest. A few years back, QRN was low, and  with the same station, I worked about 450 qsos, unheard of for my little station.  What a thrill.  Even day time produced dozens of signals.

Thats why I think we should add 160m, and if added,  do what we do for  10 and 15:  indicate certain hours to look there, to help concentrate the activity.

160 is a sure way to spur activity in the adjacent states since they will see most or all of Ohio quite well, without having to compete with stations from all over due to longer skip distances on 80 and 40 etc.