[OhQP-mail] MRRC, N8VW, and the Ohio QSO Party

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Sun Jul 12 08:32:57 EDT 2009

Since 1999 the Mad River Radio Club has  sponsored the Ohio QSO Party. For
nearly all of that time Pat Collins, N8VW, has  done the log checking and
web hosting for the OQP.

Several years ago Pat  developed a strong dislike for MRRC, and left the
club. He continued as the OQP  web guy, and for the past few years has
sponsored a plaque for the top out of  state QRP entry.

Since his falling out with MRRC, Pat has removed  all mention of MRRC as
the sponsor of the OQP from the web site. There has been  discussion within
the club that this was not appropriate given the MRRC's  history, efforts, and
financial support of the event.

This year after the  final paper logs were entered into computerized
Cabrillo logs and forwarded to  Pat for processing in January, it took until June
for the results spreadsheets  to be returned to me for writeup and web
publication.  As a result we  missed our traditional target of having the results
out in the spring, which  allows for the contest plaques be available to
hand out in person at Dayton to  those winners who attended the Hamvention.

There had been discussions  about moving the processing and publication of
the OQP results to a new web site  run by people within MRRC.  We decided to
move forward with this, and  started the new OQP web site,  www.ohqp.org,
with Tim Mitchell, K9TM, as  the web master.  The 2008 OQP results are now
posted here.

Pat's  response has been a sudden flurry of activity to attempt to seize
the OQP from  MRRC by claiming ownership of the OQP.  He has in the past
twelve hours  engaged in a blitz of activity including new rules, prizes,
publicity venues,  and the like.

The Mad River Radio Club remains the sponsor and  administrator of the Ohio
QSO Party.  We have a new e-mail  reflector,    ohqp-mail at ohqp.org.
This can be subscribed to on the new web site, or by sending an email  to
ohqp-mail-request at ohqp.org    , with  the word "subscribe" in both the
Subject and body.

There is likely  to be confusion between the MRRC's official OQP efforts
and the renegade OQP  being promoted by N8VW.  We regret any such confusion,
and ask that you  bear with it and continue with your support of the Ohio QSO
Party.

In  spite of this internal dispute, the Ohio QSO Party will be held again
this year  on Saturday, August 22, from noon to midnight EDT. We hope to see
you  all then!

73  -   Jim  Stahl      K8MR

Ohio QSO Party Chairman

Steps!